Important message regarding Coronavirus and the Lake County Courts
How can people with court dates originally set to occur during the closure know whether their court dates remain set and whether they are required to appear in person? Here are some key points:
- Those represented by counsel should call or email their lawyer. Many attorneys are continuing to operate, even with limited staffing.
- Those who are not represented by an attorney can try calling the court where their hearing is set and check with the court staff.
- If a court cannot be contacted by telephone, Indiana’s free online case management system allows anyone at any time of day to check the status of any case, including the status of hearings.
- Lake County Courts have re-set all court dates possible and all jury trials have been cancelled (click "read more..." below for more details).
- Persons wanting to file new cases or documents in existing cases are still able to do so. To use or sign up for an electronic filing account, simply go to efile.incourts.gov and follow the instructions.
- Victims of domestic violence who wish to file a petition for protection order can e-file it themselves or ask for assistance at one of the local domestic violence shelters
Please click the "read more..." link below for ALL the details.
Declaration of Emergency in Response to the Coronavirus 2019 Epidemic
Beginning March 24, 2020 all Lake County Government buildings,including the buildings in Hammond, Gary and East Chicago, will CLOSE. This closure will remain in effect until April 6, 2020 with normal business hours and operations resuming on April 7, 2020.
All Essential Employees of Lake County Government (Sheriff’s Police,Corrections, Clerk’s and 911 Communications staff) are expected to continue their work as usual to ensure the safety of the residents and visitors to Lake County, Indiana. Employees should contact their immediate supervisor with any questions about their specific schedule during this CLOSURE.
The duration of this closure is subject to change and residents and employees will be notified.
Please click "read more..." link below for the full declaration.
Indiana Primary Elections moved to June 2, 2020
The Governor of Indiana just announced that the May 5th Primary is moved to June 2nd, 2020. The Indiana Election Commission is meeting Wednesday, March 25th at 10:00 am to confirm that date and address other items related to that change. More details from the Indiana Election Division will be communicated next week.
Gary Community School Corp - Feeding Program / Coronavirus Response
Gary Community School Corporation will be providing breakfast and lunch to any Gary Community member who is 18 years or younger. Please click "read more..." link below for more information.