Victim Impact Panel
LADOS Division 2 sponsored Victim Impact Panels must be scheduled in advance by LADOS Division 2 staff, and are held at the Lake County Community Corrections Building (Front Entrance Conference Room) 2600 W. 93 rd Avenue in Crown Point.
Victim Impact Panels are a victim’s – survivor’s focused presentation on an impaired driving crash in which they were injured, or in which a loved one was killed or injured, and how it impacted their lives. These presenters do not blame or judge those who listen. They simply tell their stories, describing how their lives and the lives of their families and friends were affected by the crash. The purpose of the panels is to individualize and humanize the consequences of impaired driving, to change attitudes and behaviors, and to deter impaired.
Benefits of VIP to the Community and the Offender
The victims’-survivor’s stories are told first-hand and from the heart, in neither a blaming or accusatory tone, and are intended to:
- Allow offenders to consider the pain and suffering impaired driving can cause other people;
- Help offenders move beyond being “stuck” in focusing on their own “bad luck;”
- Serve as a first step in breaking the denial of substance abusers;
- Imprint images of real people in offenders’ minds that will replay to prevent repeat driving while impaired offenses;
- Change high risk behavior and Save Lives.